Time For A New Roof?
Time for a New Roof?
Obviously, most homeowners will consider roof replacement after a leak is spotted on their ceiling. This leak could be due to more than one roofing problem. Deciding to repair or replace the roof can be a costly decision. A new roof for a 2500 square foot home will average between $10,000.00 and $15,000.00. Here are some factors to consider before repairing or replacing your existing roof.
- Roof Age – if your asphalt shingle roof is 20 to 25 years of age; it is typically at the point where it should be inspected for damage. Most experts agree that the average life for this type of roof is about 20 years. It also depends on whether the roof has been previously repaired or a new roof was placed over the old roof.
- Buckling or Curling Shingles – there is no vaccine for this – this is a sign that your roof is at the end of its life expectancy. This will be very apparent in the areas which receive direct sunlight. If a new roof is starting to show these symptoms – contact your roofing contractor – your roof may be defective and you may be entitled to reimbursement.
- Check your Roof Valleys – if you have missing or deteriorated shingles in this area; it’s a definite sign that you need a new roof. The valleys channel the water and snow and if compromised can cause leaks.
- Missing Shingles – Shingle tabs that are not intact are signs of a failing roof.
- Flashing – chimney flashing made of roof cement or tar may need to be replaced with a long term water tight metal flashing system.
- Shingle Granules in your gutters – check your gutters and if they are filling up with granules – this is a sign that the roof is deteriorating. Changes in the color of your roof may indicate this issue as well.
- Light coming through the roof boards – if you can see light – you need a new roof. If light is coming through so will rain and moisture which could lead to more problems.
If you are unable or uncertain about these issues it is always best to have a roofing professional inspect your roof and offer advice for any issues or remedies. SERVPRO of Sussex County is happy to provide a list of reputable roofing specialists who are available in our area. Please call us today at 302-856-9768 if you have any roof leaks or questions.