Oh!!!! Christmas Tree!!!!
OH!!! Christmas Tree!!!
According to U.S. Fire Departments; there are more than 200 fires per year that are caused by Christmas Trees. These fires cause an average of 6 deaths, 16 injuries and $14.8 million in property damage annually. A myth is that the tree lights alone are the problem but in reality the cause is also overloaded extension cords and electrical sockets which were faulty and short circuited.
The following are measures which can be taken to diminish this risk:
- Keep your tree at least three feet away from any heat source.
- Purchase a freshly cut tree.
- Water the tree every day.
- Remove the tree soon after Christmas or once it dries out.
- Check extension cords for damage before use.
- Do not overload extension cords. Use only UL approved lights and cords.
- Check for any shorts, or damaged bulbs in the strings of lights and discard the string if they are found.
- Check extension cords for any exposed wire and make sure they art grounded.
- NEVER PUT LIT CANDLES ON YOUR CHRISTMAS TREE!!
- Make sure your lights are turned off before you turn in at night.
- Make sure all outdoor light connectors are away from rain gutters and off the ground.
Your Christmas tree is not the only item to exercise caution with. It is reported that two out of every five decoration fires is started by candles. Speaking from experience; this can happen in the blink on an eye and can cause considerable damage. We had a small fire in our kitchen during Thanksgiving dinner one year after a dish towel got too close to a lit candle and we had to replace the island that it sat on. A temporary lapse in attention is all it takes.
SERVPRO of Sussex County wishes everyone a safe and happy holiday season! If you should have some bad luck during the holidays or at any time – call us at 302-856-9768 and we will help to restore the joy of the holidays.