Be Prepared for Severe Weather!
Severe Weather Tips
When severe weather is approaching there may not be enough time to properly prepare your family and your property. It is always a good idea to know what to do and when to do it. In most cases locally; severe weather strikes in the form of thunderstorms with the potential for wind, thunder and lightning and heavy rain. There are a few steps that each household should take to prepare for such events.
- Secure your property and keep trees trimmed and remove dead branches and store any outdoor furniture or items safely. Branches, lawn chairs and garbage cans can quickly become projectiles in a severe storm and cause damage to your home, vehicles and property.
- Keeping your gutters and drainpipes clean will help to properly direct the flow of potentially damaging flood waters away from your home and crawlspace.
- Check the condition of your roof. If repairs are needed; apply them before the bad weather strikes.
- Prepare an emergency safety plan for your family and include methods of communication and an escape route to a safe meeting place.
- Keep an eye on the sky and pay attention to local weather information.
- If severe weather threatens; check on the elderly, disabled, the very young and pets and farm animals.
NOTE: ACCORDING TO NOAA – IF YOU ARE AWARE OF WHAT WEATHER EVENT IS ABOUT TO IMPACT YOU – YOU ARE MORE LIKELY TO SURVIVE SUCH AN EVENT. NOAA WEATHER RADIO OR THEIR WEBSITE IS THE BEST SOURCE FOR ACCURATE WEATHER INFORMATION.
If severe weather does hit; please always remember that SERVPRO of Sussex County is ready 24/7 to help you to regain control of your life! Please reach us at 302-856-9768 or visit us at http://www.SERVPROsussexcounty.com/.