Biohazard and Sewage Emergency Tips
What you can do until help arrives
Biohazard cleanup scenes can be very dangerous. SERVPRO of Sussex County has the extensive training, protective gear and equipment to remove the danger without further damage or the spread of contamination. The health risks associated with sewage, flood water, blood and bodily fluids as well as chemicals can make restoration a challenging endeavor and safety should always be the primary concern. Many items in the home may need to be relocated away from the contaminated area. The use of some home appliances should be avoided so as not to spread the contaminants. Again, attempting DIY remediation in such scenarios is dangerous, so call the pros at SERVPRO of Sussex County.
Need Biohazard Cleanup? Call Us Today – (302) 856-9768
After any biohazard or sewage contamination in your home or business, your primary focus should be safety:
- Is it safe to stay in the house?
- Exposure to biological and chemical contaminants can pose serious health consequences.
- Flood water can contain sewage, pesticides, and other contaminants.
- Only do activities that are safe for you to perform.
What to Do After a Contamination
- Stay out of affected areas.
- Call emergency service personnel if the situation is life-threatening.
- Treat all bodily fluids as if they are contaminated.
- Turn off the HVAC system if there is sewage damage.
What Not to Do After a Contamination
- Don’t leave wet fabrics in place. Hang furs and leather goods.
- Don’t leave books, magazines, or other colored items on wet carpet or floors.
- Don’t use your household vacuum to remove water.
- Don’t use television or other household appliances.
- Don’t turn on ceiling fixtures if ceiling is wet, and keep out of rooms where ceilings are sagging.
24 Hour Emergency Service
Biohazards like flood water or sewer backups should be considered an emergency and dealt with as quickly as possible. SERVPRO of Sussex County has water damage restoration specialists and has specific training and expertise to safely remediate biohazard contaminants.
We are proud to serve our local communities:
- Rehoboth Beach
- Bethany Beach
- Ocean View