Tips To Help Avoid Holiday Fires
- Stay alert while cooking. Cooking fires are the #1 cause of home fires and home injuries.1Avoid using the stove if you’re sleepy or have had a bit to drink. If you’ll be grilling, frying, or broiling indoors, stay in your kitchen. Keep oven mitts, dish towels, and anything else that can catch fire away from your stovetop. Be especially careful when using outdoor grills, smokers, and turkey fryers as these can pose an even greater risk to people and property.
~ Did You Know? Thanksgiving is the peak day for home cooking fires, followed by Christmas Day and Christmas Eve.1
- Use candles with care. More than 33% of home decoration fires are started by candles.1Place candles away from decorations and anything else that is flammable. Never leave a room unattended while a candle is burning. Keep children and pets away from lit candles.
~ Did You Know? Candle fires peak in December; (60%) were started when something flammable such as furniture, bedding, curtains, or decorations was too close to a candle.1
- Take care with fireworks. Ten percent of fireworks fires occur between December 30 and January 3, with the peak on New Year's Day. Keep fireworks away from any building structures and don’t set them off in or near dry brush.
- Ensure your heating system is clean & safe. Hire a professional to inspect and clean your furnace annually. Keep anything that can burn at least three feet away from your furnace or any other heating unit. Keep children and pets at least three feet away from open fires and electric heaters.
- Keep guests safe while entertaining. Keep matches and lighters up high, preferably in a locked cabinet. Ask any smokers to smoke outside and provide large, deep ashtrays. Stay in the kitchen when cooking and keep holiday decorations far away from the stovetop.
~ Did You Know? 21% of decoration fires started in the kitchen.1
If you encounter any fire related misfortune during this holiday season – Please call SERVPRO of Sussex County for assistance.